Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 14, 2011

A date with Lila Rose

I was recently invited to a group discussion called "Theology on Tap" in Dixon, Ca. My friend Jeff is one of the leaders of the group and thought that I might like it. I was hesitant at first, only because of the distance. When he told me that the subject on this night was Abortion, I knew that I had to be there. After all, I AM a volunteer for a "Life-Alternative"(Pro-life) pregnancy center. I started volunteering for Alternatives Pregnancy Center just a month or two prior to this event. I wanted to volunteer to give the center a man that they could count on for all of the dirty work, or data entry (I am really good at data entry). So, once a week(when possible) I volunteer a couple hours of my monday.


Lila Rose was the key note speaker at Theology on Tap that night. Recently, you may have seen her on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or any other media organization. She is the Awesome young woman who founded Live Action. A little bit about them:
WHO WE ARE: We are a youth led movement dedicated to building a culture of life and ending abortion, the greatest human rights injustice of our time. We use new media to educate the public about the humanity of the unborn and investigative journalism to expose threats against the vulnerable and defenseless.





You can find out more about her and her mission and how she started at: http://liveaction.org/lilarose





Hearing her story made me think A LOT. She started Live Action when she was 15! Her organization started off with her and one other person. She is now 22 years old and Live Action has grown to now have several chapters in California. Not only did it put an emphises on why I volunteer for Alternatives, it lit a fire under my rear end. This awesome 22 year old(one year younger than I) has done so much for the kingdom.


Here I am, working for a paycheck at a car dealership where I help people in such superficial ways. "Yes sir, I am sorry that your car is taking an extra hour to be repaired, please take this coupon for a free car wash and come in any time", or "yes ma'am, I understand that you are frustrated that you have to pay for a quart of oil because your oil level is low, once you purchase it, I will put it in for you, myself, free of charge and we will give you a free car wash, all better?". I still go to work with a good attitude and a smile on my face. I still try to look like God's image at work, but how is any of this glorifying God? He has been calling me, scratch that, Screaming at me for a while, telling me to do something! Wanting me to do what He wants me to do, not what I want me to do. I NEED a change, I NEED to help people, I NEED to save lives. So, how will I do this. I am at an awesome point in my life where I can honestly say I haven't a clue. Now is my time to put it in His hands and let Him work in me.





Seeing the work that Alternatives Pregnancy Center does, seeing the impact that they have on so many lives, seeing the amount of lives they save has given me a passion, a heart to help. Whether it be Painting walls, talking to men and pastors about LIFE, or entering data. I will do it with the strength and the will that God has provided me. I don't want to be successful on this earth, I want to be significant in God's eyes and be welcomed with open arms by Jesus as he carries me, cloaked by his robe into the Kingdom.





In a way, Lila Rose didn't teach me anything, God did. He just used a beautiful vessel to speak to me. One in which I hope to meet again, either on this earth or in Heaven, when we are walking with our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment